The Église Saint-Gervais-et-Saint-Protais is the main church of Saint-Gervais-les-Bains at the northern end of the Montjoie Valley, west from Chamonix. The church is dedicated to Saint Gervais and his twin brother Saint Protais. The two brothers are holy martyrs who died in the first century under the Emperor Nero. In 386 the bodies of the two brothers were moved to the Basillica of Saint Ambrose in Milan.
An old church on the same site dates back to the 12th century and there are records that the early church bells were dated 1108 and 1159. These bells were destroyed in a fire in 1792. The current church was built a the end of the 17th century under the guidance of Jean de la Vougniaz who was also the builder of the Chapelle Notre Dame de la Gorge at the southern end of the Montjoie Valley. In 1987 the building was declared a historical monument.
We got a nice Saint-Gervais discovery trail which runs through the city center of Saint-Gervais and passes by the church.
Linked Trails & Points of Interest
These are the trails and points of interests linked to this Church
A nice exploration loop above Le Fayet and Saint-Gervais-les-Bains with a visit to the Cheminee des Fees rock formation and a war monument
When to Go
Start May - Mid Nov
4.5 - 7.0 Hours
+1067m / -1067m
12+ Years old
2.5 - 4.0 Hours
Point to Point Trail:
A nice route through a large part of the Montjoie Valley passing through numerous little hamlets and nice open fields with nice views all around.
When to Go
Start Apr - End Oct
3.0 - 4.0 Hours
+554m / -197m
7+ Years old
1.5 - 2.0 Hours
Very Easy (1/5)
Location & Map
Below you will the location of this point of interest on the map. You can click the button to show the nearby trails and points of interests that are listed above on the same map. Another option is to visit our complete interactive map that shows everything that is listed on our website.